Make these colorful fish school cookies for a fun afternoon snack or enviable lunchbox treat!
– 1/2 cup butter, softened – 1 cup all-purpose flour
– 1 cup white sugar – 3/4 tsp baking powder
– 1 egg – 1/4 tsp salt
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
1. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs and vanilla. Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt. Cover and chill dough for at least two hours (or overnight).
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). For easy removal, roll out dough on parchment or wax paper 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Use your fish cookie cutter to cut into fish shapes. Remove the extra dough between the fish.
3. Bake 6 to 8 minutes in the preheated over. Cool completely before icing.
– 1/2 cup white sugar – 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
– 2 tbs water – 2 tsp low-fat milk 1 cup
– 1/4 tsp vanilla extract – natural food coloring (optional)
1. Combine white sugar and water in a small saucepan over medium heat, simmering until dissolved and a sugar syrup is created, about 5 minutes.
2. Stir together confectioner’s sugar and milk in a small bowl until smooth. Beat in vanilla and 2 teaspoons of sugar syrup until icing is smooth and glossy. If icing is too thick, add more sugar syrup.
3. Optional: Divide icing into separate bowls and add food colorings to each to desired intensity. Play
If you’re not already a Green Kid Crafts subscriber, don’t wait another day to join!
From $16.95 / month! Monthly boxes come with 4-8 award winning Creativity and STEM Science Kits (science, technology, engineering, and math) designed by experts around national standards to build confidence, flex creativity, and make kids smarter. All materials and instructions included, along with some fun extras! Each Discovery Box is created around an exciting new theme each month (think Outer Space, Nocturnal Animals, Backyard Science, Ocean, and Mad Scientist). You can cancel anytime. Join Green Kid now!